Exposure to pesticides can cause irritation to the eyes, nose and throat, damage the central nervous system and kidneys, and increase the risk of cancer. Symptoms due to pesticide exposure may include headache, dizziness, muscle weakness, and nausea. A pesticide often found in the home is paradichlorobenzene, an active ingredient commonly used in moth repellents. This chemical is known to cause cancer in animals, but there is substantial scientific uncertainty about the effects, if any, of long-term human exposure to paradichlorobenzene.
EPA requires that products containing paradichlorobenzene carry warnings, such as avoiding breathing vapors, to warn users of possible short-term toxic effects. Whenever possible, paradichlorobenzene and items that need to be protected against moths should be placed in trunks or other containers that can be stored in areas that are ventilated separately from the home, such as attics and separate garages. Paradichlorobenzene is also the key active ingredient in many air fresheners (in fact, some moth repellent labels recommend that these same products be used as air fresheners or deodorants). Proper ventilation and basic household cleaning will go a long way in preventing unpleasant odors.
Pesticides can pollute air, land, food crops and waterways. It can also kill beneficial insects and harm other animals that are useful to the ecosystem. For the most part, pest control chemicals are completely safe. However, they must be handled with care by someone who is trained to use them or safety could become an issue.
Pesticides pose a minor threat to an adult's health. Even so, it's important to take appropriate precautions so that you don't get unnecessarily exposed to hazardous chemicals. Your exterminator will give you instructions on how long you should stay out of your home and the appropriate length of time to ventilate the house. You need to know where your exterminator placed poison balls in your house and when to throw them away.
The exterminator will instruct you on how long to wait before cleaning areas affected by the poison. Many pesticides leave a residual layer that lasts up to 3 months, and cleaning products can reduce the effectiveness of the poison. The most important lesson to staying safe is knowing what is being sprayed in your home and how to limit your exposure. Knowing what type of pest you are dealing with will help you choose the type of pesticide that is right for your problem.
So what do we do when they attack? More often than not, residents of Matthew, North Carolina, resort to spraying chemical pesticides that were purchased at the store, hoping to completely eliminate pests. That's because a lot of eco-friendly pest control is focused on preventing rodents and insects from entering your home in the first place, rather than killing them once they're there. That kind of pest control can definitely be toxic, especially if you have babies crawling on the floor, chewing and salivating from just about anything. Pesticides are intended to attack small pests by damaging their nervous system, causing them to lose bodily functions and eventually die from organ failure.
If you've already tried prevention techniques and you still have a pest problem, you may need to use some type of pesticide to treat the area. If you have leftover pesticide, store it in the original bottle, out of reach of children and pets. Another study suggests that 80 percent of most people's exposure to pesticides occurs indoors and that measurable levels of up to a dozen pesticides have been found in the air inside homes. Similarly, with a new pest control treatment, the customer may want to know the possible risks and precautions.
In 1990, the American Association of Poison Control Centers reported that about 79,000 children were involved in common household poisoning or pesticide exposures. The first step is to learn about the pests you have and the options available to control specific pests. Respiratory entry Pesticides in powder, aerosol and vapor form can be inhaled through the nose and mouth. These carrier agents are called inert in pesticides because they are not toxic to the target pest; however, some inerts are capable of causing health problems.
You may find this illustrated guide to New York City useful for controlling cockroach and mouse infestations (of which I experienced many before moving to the virtually rodent-free state of New Jersey). Professional exterminators understand what is safe to use in a variety of situations compared to which pesticides pose a health threat. . .
Leave a Comment